B.C.’s Labour Market Outlook: 2019 Edition
The 2019 edition of British Columbia’s Labour Market Outlook is now available. The report provides the most up-to-date information on the types of jobs and skills that will be in demand in B.C. between now and 2029.
The Outlook helps young people plan their careers. It also helps more mature workers looking to change jobs or careers. It is a useful resource for educators as they develop courses; will help lead to jobs for learners; and supports employers and government in the development of training strategies and investment plans.
Students, families, school counsellors and people looking for work use the projections in this report to make informed decisions about their future - decisions about education, training, and charting their career paths.
Did you know?
- In all, B.C. is forecast to have 861,000 job openings between 2019 and 2029.
- 160,000 job openings over the next 10 years will be in occupations that have a high chance of being affected by automation.
- Active listening is a required skill for about 7 out of 10 future job openings in B.C.
- 77% of future jobs will require some form of post-secondary education or training:
- 41% will require a certificate, diploma, or apprenticeship training
- 36% will require a bachelor’s, graduate or professional degree
Inside the Outlook
- A 10-year forecast of job openings and the education and skills needed to get them.
- A list of High Opportunity Occupations.
- A discussion of Indigenous Labour Market Information.
- The top in-demand skills and competencies over the next 10 years.
Download the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2019 Edition (PDF, <1MB) to learn more.