Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages.

Before you can hire a temporary worker for a Canadian job, in most cases you must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The LMIA will determine whether any Canadian workers are available to do the job. Find out if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment and how to get one.

Give a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary worker and advise them to apply for a work permit. You can hire foreign workers from abroad or those who are already working in Canada. Foreign workers already here may be about to complete a job contract with another employer or hold an open work permit. An open work permit allows a temporary employee to work for any employer in Canada. Find out more about the Temporary Foreign Worker Program