English is the official language in British Columbia. You will need to speak, read and write in English in order to work or study in B.C. Good English language skills will help you work in your profession, take care of daily activities, and find success in B.C.
Take some English courses to learn how to use English comfortably. To find classes in your area, contact your local settlement services agency.
These ideas can help you improve your English skills:
- Get to know people who speak English. Practice before you arrive in B.C.
- Listen to Canadian radio and televisions stations online, such as the CBC.
- Find English language learning materials on the NewToBC: The Library Link for Newcomers website.
- Read newspapers from British Columbia.
- Use chat groups or discussion groups in English.
- Watch English movies.
- Use a document reader to read English text aloud on your computer.