Things to do right away
There are a number of things you should do as soon as you arrive in B.C. The following list will help you find the services and information you need. Be sure to consult the British Columbia Newcomers’ Guide for more information and assistance.
- Get information and support from a settlement services agency.
- Find a place to buy or rent.
- Arrange to get your identification. You will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in B.C., and a BC Services Card to receive healthcare and other services. You may also wish to apply for a B.C. driver’s licence.
- Register for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) so you can see a doctor or access other health care services.
- Open a bank account.
- Register your children for school and learn about public, post-secondary and Adult Basic Education in B.C.