Extend your study permit

If you are an international student with a one-year permit to study in B.C., you may be able to stay here for one more year. To do so, you must apply to extend your study permit.
  • Your application must be submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at least 30 days before your study permit expires.
  • Your passport must be valid for your entire stay in B.C., including the one-year extension.
You can find more information about extending your study permit, including how to apply, and download a document checklist (PDF) from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit

If you have recently graduated from a post-secondary school in British Columbia and would like to gain valuable Canadian work experience, you may be eligible to get a work permit through the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program. Work permits are issued for different periods of time, depending on the length of your studies. For example, if you graduated from a four-year degree program, you could get a three-year work permit. If you graduated from an eight-month certificate program, you could get a work permit for up to eight months.