Transition to permanent residency

Do you want to make your temporary stay in B.C. permanent? Then you need to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence. There are several options for getting permanent residence in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Program

One option for getting permanent residence is to have B.C. nominate you through the Provincial Nominee Program. The B.C. Provincial Nominee Program is designed to attract and retain foreign workers and entrepreneurs to meet B.C. labour market and economic development needs. It offers a pathway to permanent residency for skilled and semi-skilled workers, international graduates, and their family members who intend to settle in B.C. In order to be eligible for this program, your skill sets need to meet B.C. labour market needs and most categories require a valid job offer from a B.C. employer.

Express Entry

If you are a worker in a managerial, professional, technical, or skilled trade job, you can apply for permanent residency through Express Entry. Express Entry is an electronic system to manage applications for permanent residence under the following programs: Federal Skilled WorkerFederal Skilled TradesCanadian Experience Class and a portion of Provincial Nominees. You need to meet the eligibility criteria for at least one of these programs in order to apply through Express Entry.

To apply through Express Entry, you create an Express Entry profile. The information in your profile will create a score based on the Comprehensive Ranking System Criteria. Several times per year, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will select the applicants with the highest scores and give the applicants an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. You have 60 days to submit your application for permanent residence. IRCC will process most complete applications in six months or less.

International Graduate and Postgraduate

If you came to B.C. as a post-secondary student, you may be able to stay in Canada on a post-graduate work permit after you graduate. The Canadian work experience you gain while on this temporary work permit may allow you to stay in Canada permanently through the Canadian Experience Class or the BC Provincial Nominee Program.

Caregiver Program

The federal Caregiver Program provides permanent residence pathways for people who are employed as live-in caregivers or who are caregivers to children or people with high medical needs

Become a Canadian Citizen

Once you have been a permanent resident in Canada for several years, you may be able to apply for Canadian Citizenship. Being a citizen has several benefits compared to permanent residence. You can vote in elections, run for political office, and obtain a job that requires high security clearance. You also do not risk losing your ability to come to or stay in Canada if you are out of the country for more than two out of five years.