Temporary Foreign Workers

Each year, employers in B.C. hire temporary foreign residents from countries around the world. These temporary foreign residents help B.C. meet the demand for short-term labour and keep projects moving forward.  Temporary foreign residents have the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience that can help them move to permanent residency.

If you would like to come and work in B.C., visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to find out about the options available to you. An online tool is available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website that can help you to determine if you are eligible to come to Canada as an immigrant, temporary resident or visitor.

If you want to come to B.C. temporarily to work, you will likely need to get a work permit.

In some situations you can get a work permit even if you do not have a job offer. These work permits are called “open” work permits.

If you can’t get an open work permit, you will need to have a job offer from an employer. In most cases, before hiring a foreign worker an employer must get a Labour Market Impact Assessment to show that there are no Canadian workers available to fill a job.

In addition to a work permit, you may need a visitor visa in order to enter Canada.

If you are working temporarily in B.C., your spouse or common-law partner and your dependents can apply to come with you. If they wish, they can also apply for a study or work permit.

Once you are working in B.C., you are protected by the same laws as other local residents. If you feel unsafe or at risk of abuse at work, you can report the issue to an appropriate enforcement agency (such as the police, WorkSafeBC or the Employment Standards Branch). You can also seek information and assistance from a settlement service provider.

Find out about the settlement services and supports that are available to temporary foreign residents throughout B.C.