While you are studying in B.C.

Last reviewed: March 12, 2024 

Work while you study

Did you know that international students may be able to work while they study in British Columbia?
If you would like to earn extra money and gain Canadian work experience, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to learn more about your options to work as an international student: The law in B.C. sets standards for payment, compensation, and working conditions in most workplaces. The standards promote open communication, fair treatment, and work-life balance for employees. As an international student, you and your employer are also covered by these laws. Learn more about Employment Standards & Workplace Safety.
Your school may also have an international student advisor office. They may be able to help you understand your options to work on or off campus, as well as other resources in your community.

Extend your study permit

You must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to extend your study permit:
  • you must apply to IRCC at least 30 days before your study permit expires
  • your passport must be valid for your entire stay in B.C., including the one-year extension
You can find more information on the IRCC website, including extending your study permit and how to apply.